A major robbery took place on Tuesday at a shopping centre in Block 17 of Gulistan-e-Jauhar, where armed suspects allegedly looted gold and cash worth millions of rupees from two shops.
According to police, a case has been registered at Sharea Faisal police station on the complaint of businessman Ijaz, one of the victims. Initial investigations suggest that four suspects were involved in the robbery.
According to the FIR, the robbers smashed shop windows and carried out the robbery while creating panic at the shopping centre. The suspects allegedly looted gold worth about Rs21.5 million along with Rs2 million in cash from one shop. They also snatched gold worth Rs7 million from an employee of another shop before fleeing the scene.
Police officials said the total losses amounted to nearly Rs30 million, while verification of the stolen valuables was still underway.
Officials added that the robbers also opened fire during the incident, damaging the glass panels of one of the shops. One of the suspects was reportedly injured after being struck by shattered glass.
Police said CCTV cameras installed at the shopping centre had been damaged, apparently in an attempt to hinder the investigation. However, investigators have managed to trace the escape routes used by the suspects.
The crime scene unit collected evidence from the site, while investigators are examining available footage and forensic material to identify and arrest those involved.