Revising the tally of downed jets during the Pakistan-India war last year, US President Donald Trump on Thursday claimed that “11 very expensive” fighter jets were shot down in the fight.
Last year in May, Pakistan and India engaged in a military showdown, the worst between the old foes in decades, which was sparked by a terrorist attack on tourists in IIOJK's Pahalgam area, which New Delhi alleged was backed by Pakistan.
Islamabad denied involvement in the Pahalgam attack, which killed 26 men and offered to participate in a neutral probe into the deadly incident.
During the clashes, Pakistan downed seven Indian fighter jets, including three Rafale, and dozens of drones. After at least 87 hours, the war between the two nuclear-armed nations ended on May 10 with a ceasefire agreement brokered by the US.
Speaking at the initial meeting of the Board of Peace, Trump hailed Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and “tough serious fighter” Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of the Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir.
“I like this man [PM Shehbaz] of Pakistan,” he added.
Referring to last year's May conflict between Pakistan and India, Trump said: “There was some fighting going on when I got to know him and your great Field Marshal [Asim Munir], a great guy.”
The US president recalled the premier’s previous remarks, saying PM Shehbaz had credited him with saving 25 million lives by halting the Pakistan–India war.
As the war between the two nuclear-armed neighbours raged, Trump reiterated that he played a role in stopping the conflict.
Speaking on the occasion, the US president lauded the professionalism of CDF Munir, calling him a “tough good fighter”.
The US president said that he heard that Pakistan and India were fighting and the situation is worsening, adding that many planes were shot down.
Trump once again claimed credit for ending the war between the two nuclear nations, saying that his threat of 200% tariffs was instrumental in reaching a ceasefire agreement.