close

Khyber DC's October warning ignored: KP govt's 'delayed action' leaves thousands stranded in Tirah

PDMA, district administration responsible for arrangements related to transportation, food, transit and registration points

Residents leave with their belongings ahead of an operation in Maidan area of Tirah Valley, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, January 9, 2026. — Geo News/Qazi Fazlullah
Residents leave with their belongings ahead of an operation in Maidan area of Tirah Valley, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, January 9, 2026. — Geo News/Qazi Fazlullah

PESHAWAR: The Khyber deputy commissioner had formally informed the KP government on October 28 about the possible temporary and voluntary displacement of population from Tirah area of the district due to severe snowfall, but the provincial government failed to make timely arrangements.

As a result, thousands of people remained stranded during harsh weather conditions. The government had sufficient time, as the displacement process was scheduled to begin from January 10, but the lack of advance preparedness led to a humanitarian crisis.

According to available official documents, the Khyber deputy commissioner, in his letter dated October 28, highlighted the anticipated displacement of population from certain areas of Tirah, particularly Bagh, and requested advance relief arrangements including transportation, food supplies, cash assistance and the establishment of transit and registration points. The letter clearly stated that the displacement would be voluntary, based on the consent of local population and recommendations of a representative jirga convened at the district level, while also taking into account seasonal and administrative considerations.

Sources said that despite this warning, no effective measures were taken at the practical level by the provincial government.

However, on December 26, the Secretary Relief, Rehabilitation and Settlement Department issued a notification declaring an emergency in district Khyber under the National Disaster Management Act Khyber Pakhtunkhwa 2010. The notification stated that humanitarian preparedness and relief measures were essential in view of the expected voluntary displacement and welfare of affected population.

According to the notification, the Provincial Disaster Management Authority, in coordination with the district administration Khyber, would be responsible for making arrangements related to transportation, food, refreshments and the establishment and management of transit and registration points for the affected population. The Khyber DC was authorised to immediately initiate relief and rehabilitation activities by utilising available resources and, if required, by engaging machinery and services.

The notification further stated that the PDMA would provide tents, non-food items and other essential supplies from its central storage at Jalozai for temporary shelter and relief purposes. All expenditures would be met from the relief account to be operated by the Khyber DC, while proper maintenance of accounts and inventory records was made mandatory.

Meanwhile, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Muhammad Sohail Afridi said the federal government, in a statement, claimed that Tirah affectees migrated of their own free will, whereas in reality they were forced to leave their homes. He said that the outcome of imposing decisions on Pashtuns behind closed doors is now evident, as these people are backtracking on their own decisions. He added that the affectees are facing the harshest conditions, all due to the fake Form 47 government. He further said that a jirga of the Afridi tribe had been called in Khyber on Sunday, stressing that this is not a routine statement but a deliberate attempt to provoke them.

Separately, alleging that attempts were underway to politically disqualify him, KP CM Sohail Afridi said on Sunday people of the province voted for Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) founder Imran Khan and that the public mandate could not be ignored.

Addressing a gathering in Barikot, Swat, he said that when PTI’s political opponents failed to defeat the party at the ballot box, terrorism-related allegations were levelled against its leadership. “Selected video clips are being played during press conferences to malign PTI leaders,” he added.

Afridi ridiculed talks of imposing governor’s rule in KP, saying such a move would be neither constitutional nor practically feasible. He alleged that attempts were being made to politically disqualify him but stressed that he would continue to represent the voice of people.

Referring to the security situation in Tirah, the chief minister said that locals were forced to leave their homes eventually leading to a security operation. Expressing concern over civilian casualties, he claimed that scores of people were being killed in the area.

“We are neither enemies of the Pakistan Army nor of state institutions,” Afridi said, adding that his government opposed only those who interfered in political matters.

He accused certain elements of attempting to create confrontation between state institutions and the provincial government but assured that the government would present every claim with evidence.

The chief minister recalled that after assuming office, he was informed about the martyrdom of security personnel and had personally left official meetings to attend their funeral prayers. He said that he and his cabinet stood with the families of martyred soldiers, but lamented that he was no longer invited or permitted to attend such ceremonies.

Announcing a visit to Tirah, Afridi said he would hold a jirga with local elders and personally engage with the affected population. He warned that if the operation was not halted within two to three days, the provincial government would formulate a new strategy.

Defending PTI leader Murad Saeed, the chief minister said he was disliked by certain quarters because he had consistently raised his voice against terrorism and advocated for Pashtun rights.

Reaffirming his commitment to Imran Khan, Afridi said that every possible effort would be made for the PTI founder’s release. He also stated that Imran Khan had delegated political authority to Mahmood Khan Achakzai and Raja Abbas.

Addressing supporters, the chief minister asked whether they were prepared for the next phase of the political struggle, adding that the country’s political situation would undergo a major shift once Imran Khan was released.

Earlier, speaking at a rally in Batkhela, Afridi said that the people of Malakand stood firmly with Banigala and not Larkana, rejecting claims attributed to Bilawal Bhutto.

Addressing a public gathering in Thana Baizai area, the chief minister said the people of Malakand supported PTI founder Imran Khan. “The people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa have voted for the PTI founder. When our opponents failed to defeat us politically, they levelled allegations of terrorism against us and played our videos in press conferences,” he claimed.

The chief minister maintained that the PTI leadership and workers were being targeted through what he described as false and politically motivated cases. He categorically ruled out the imposition of governor’s rule in the province, stating that such a move was neither constitutionally nor politically possible in KP.

Addressing another gathering in Chakdara in Lower Dir, the chief minister warned that decisions made behind closed doors could have “terrible consequences.” Speaking at a workers’ gathering in Lower Dir’s Gateway area of Chakdara as part of a street movement, Afridi addressed political tensions and the challenges faced by the province. He said that after the narrative of providing shelter to terrorists failed, there could be attempts to disqualify leaders or implement regime change.

He also highlighted the hardships faced by the people of Tirah, blaming “fake rulers” for their difficulties. Afridi further said that while Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi remained in jail, Khan’s sisters were outside, making sacrifices for the nation.

Meanwhile, a senior security official told this correspondent that the corps commander Peshawar was not part of any jirga process regarding the Tirah operation, nor did he force jirga members to sign any documents at any stage. The official said that a large jirga was held on December 31 in Peshawar, which was chaired by Chief Secretary Shah Ali Shah, while the IG FC participated in the jirga as a member.

The sources clarified that the corps commander was never involved in this process and did not hold any meeting in this regard.

He said the corps commander had only one meeting with the KP chief minister, after which no further meeting took place. Responsible security official further stated that if the army had intended to carry out a forced operation, it could have done so in September or October, but instead the army gave the provincial government and jirga time to reach a decision through consultation.

Local sources and affected Tirah residents maintained that had the written warning received in October been taken seriously and arrangements completed before the start of displacement, thousands of people could have been saved from severe hardships during snowfall. The affected population has demanded fixation of responsibility for this negligence.

Responding to Tirah crisis, Minister for Information and Broadcasting Attaullah Tarar categorically denied rumours linking the evacuation of Tirah Valley residents to security forces, describing the reports as a conspiracy, baseless, fabricated and contrary to facts.

Speaking to the media after offering condolences to senior journalist Aun Sherazi in Kot Momin, the minister said the government had taken serious notice of the matter and issued a clarification. He stressed that no forced evacuations were being carried out and described the claims as misleading.

Referring to a notification issued by the KP government, Tarar said Rs4 billion had been allocated for the rehabilitation of people voluntarily leaving the Tirah Valley due to harsh weather conditions. DC Khyber also clarified that the provincial government had earmarked funds to meet relief needs in anticipation of a possible, temporary and voluntary movement of population from certain areas of the valley.

He dismissed as unfounded the impression that security forces were compelling evacuations. Tarar said the relocation plan reflected the wishes of local residents, as conveyed through a representative jirga, and stressed that intelligence-based operations were conducted strictly on credible information without causing inconvenience to citizens.

Responding to a question, the minister urged the KP government to focus on strengthening law and order by establishing a Safe City project, raising a dedicated Counter Crime and Detection (CCD) force, and setting up a forensic laboratory. He further called for increased investment in health, education and social sectors to ensure meaningful development and relief for the people of KP.

Praising province’s citizens as “brave and honourable,” Tarar said they deserved the same facilities as those in other parts of the country. He advised provincial leaders to resolve public issues locally rather than staging protest calls elsewhere, noting that people were weary of repeated demonstrations and sought tangible improvements in basic amenities.

“The politics of protest has become obsolete,” Tarar remarked, adding that future electoral victories would be determined by performance and public service, not agitation.