Sindh Senior Minister and Minister for Information, Transport and Mass Transit, Sharjeel Inam Memon said on Tuesday the Sindh government has launched a plan to connect the Orange Line BRT with the Green Line, with the route established from Orangi to Numaish.
Earlier, citizens used to complain that problems arose after accessing the Green Line and that two fares had to be paid; however, now the entire journey would be possible on a single ticket, which would provide travel convenience to one hundred thousand people daily.
The provincial transport department organized an inauguration ceremony to connect the Orange Line with the Green Line at the Orange Line Depot, where Senior Minister Memon inaugurated the connection. MD SMTA Kanwal Nizam Bhutto briefed Memon on the project.
Talking to the media, Memon said it will now be possible to travel on the Orange Line and the Green Line at the same fare. During the tenure of the federal government, the ridership of the Green Line was up to 55,000, but it has now increased to around 80,000. Thousands of citizens benefit from this service every day, and the fares have also been kept very low.
He said security cameras and other facilities are also available in the buses. Separate buses for women will also be operated on the Green Line and Orange Line, while double-decker buses are going to be launched from Wednesday, he said, adding that the public will be given a New Year gift, and new EV buses have also arrived.
In response to a question, he said the Sindh police and intelligence agencies carried out a major and very important operation in which those operating on foreign funding lured an innocent girl and prepared her to take the lives of ordinary citizens. The people were used on the orders of enemy countries, he said and added that parents had been instructed to monitor the activities of their children
Senior Minister Memon warned that the nation’s children are being exploited and given a false narrative through social media. No objective was achieved by any explosion; rather, the target was the country and its own people.
Upon another query, he said the prime minister had announced 150 buses for Karachi, and requested the prime minister to fulfil this promise.
He said no one will be allowed to occupy government land. Double-decker buses will operate from Malir to Sharea Faisal, and more double-decker buses will be brought to Karachi. Double-decker buses will help solve traffic problems, and the chief minister and PPP leadership have directed that efficiency be increased.
Memon further said that incidents such as killing a person over social media reflect intolerance in society, and that when arguments are weak, the path of violence should not be adopted. Beating people is not right under any circumstances, and personal disputes should not be termed tribal disputes, he said and asserted that the law will take action in such cases.
Secretary Transport Asad Zamin, PIDSL CEO Hayat Bajwa, Sindh Mass Transit Authority MD Kanwal Nizam Bhutto, and other officials were also present at the inauguration ceremony.